Monday, September 3, 2012

“Blogging: Pros and Cons for Adult Learners”


Let the blogging begin! Our assigned topic to initiate our blogs is “Blogging: Pros and Cons for Adult Learners,” and we are to discuss differences between blogging and class discussion board activity, in addition to pros and cons of blogging in the adult education context.

One positive of blogging, despite the common starting point for our blogs and the class discussion board – a question from the professor to respond to – is that a blog is more personal, more owned by the student from the outset. The discussion on the blog, as opposed to the class discussion board, takes place in a personalized visual environment designed and moderated by the student. For many students, this ownership and personalization, and resultant empowerment and voice, may motivate greater participation (King, 2011; Oravec, 2002; Witte,2007).

On the other hand, for students who are new to blogging, it may, at least initially, pose a hurdle to meaningful participation. In addition to the normal discussion board concerns of finding and using pertinent references and writing effectively, one now has to learn blog techniques and worry about formatting and being more visually creative. As discussed by Carter (2011), this can be a formidable source of discomfort for many adult learners. This potential negative, however, can become a pro in more ways than one.

For one thing, the unfamiliarity and newness of the blogging experience can be seen as a stimulus to learning, a “disjuncture” between one’s current proficiencies and the requirements of the new situation. Such disjuncture is a crucial element in many adult learning theories, such as Jarvis’s adult learning model: the “inability to cope with the situation unthinkingly, instinctively, is at the heart of all learning” (Jarvis, as cited in Merriam, Caffarella, and Baumgartner, 2007, p. 100).

Also, the potential for exercising visual creativity in blogging, in addition to the linguistic skills usually invoked in discussion board writing, can be a positive for many adult learners. According to Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences, visual (spatial) creativity is a form of intelligence possessed by everyone to different degrees which has been historically ignored or marginalized in intelligence studies and education. Many educators believe that the various intelligences cited by Gardner should be consciously incorporated in teaching practices (Merriam, Caffarella, and Baumgartner, 2007), which is something that blogging may do by invoking visual creativity.

Another aspect of blogging that can cut both ways, pro and con, is the greater visibility of the blog. Unlike the class discussion board, which only class members and the instructor can access, the online blog may be viewed by anyone with Internet access. For some adult learners, this raises privacy concerns that may inhibit participation (Carter, 2011; Oravec, 2002). However, the online visibility and potential for a larger audience will stimulate participation for many learners, and motivate them to create a quality product on their blogs (Carter, 2011; Santos, 2011).

Finally, although class discussion boards and blogs are both inherently interactive in that they involve online dialogue, a blog adds an interactive dimension that may not be present on a typical discussion board: the extensive use of hyperlinks giving readers quick access to relevant online references and websites (Carter, 2011; Oravec, 2002). This has the potential to expand the blogger’s and blog readers’ knowledge of resources pertinent to the field of knowledge discussed, as well as to allow the blog itself to serve as an organized collection of reference links (Oravec). Such a blog may take on a life of its own beyond the initial time boundary of the class, so to keep it current and useful the blog author will need to devote ongoing effort to maintaining live hyperlinks (Oravec).

References

Carter, T. J. (2011). Blogging as reflective practice in the graduate classroom. In K. P. King & T. D. Cox (Eds.), The professor’s guide to taming technology: Leveraging digital media, Web 2.0, and more for learning (pp. 89-104). Charlotte, NC: Information Age.

King, K. P. (2011). Voice, empowerment, and impact: Using digital technologies in the classroom. In K. P. King & T. D. Cox (Eds.), The professor’s guide to taming technology: Leveraging digital media, Web 2.0, and more for learning (pp. 15-30). Charlotte, NC: Information Age.

Merriam, S. B., Caffarella, R. S., & Baumgartner, L. M. (2007). Learning in adulthood: A comprehensive guide (3rd ed.). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Oravec, J. A. (2002). Bookmarking the world: Weblog applications in education. Journal of Adolescent &Adult Literacy, 45, 616-621. Retrieved from http://www.proquest.com/

Santos, A. N. E. (2011). Blogs as a learning space: Creating text of talks. Contemporary Issues in Education Research, 4(6), 15-20. Retrieved from http://journals.cluteonline.com /index.php/CIER/

Witte, S. (2007). “That’s online writing, not boring school writing”: Writing with blogs and the Talkback Project. Journal of Adolescent &Adult Literacy, 51, 92-96. doi:10.1598/JAAL.51.2.1

9 comments:

  1. Great post Cuz.

    You brought up Carter’s point about hyper linking: “A unique feature of a blog is its ability to connect to other web sites by hyper links…” (pg. 90). I found the use of the term ‘unique’ to be odd considering that hyper linking can be done in discussion boards as well as most other techno forms of writing (E-mail, Word, Power Point, etc…).

    You also noted that a positive was that the blog “…is more personal, more owned by the student from the outset. The discussion on the blog, as opposed to the class discussion board, takes place in a personalized visual environment designed and moderated by the student.” I see positives as well as negatives with this.

    “When participants become disrespectful to each other, demonstrate rude behavior (flaming), or post inaccurate information, the facilitator needs to intervene as quickly as possible.” (Bishop). It may be harder for an instructor to intervene given that the instructor has no control over an individual blog. A student can delete the instructor’s comments while the instructor loses the ability to delete the student’s comments. The instructor has also lost the ability to block the student’s access. Granted, this will effect the student’s grades, but it may also negative effects on the class or individual students.

    One of the issues that I have with the blog being “more personal, more owned by the student…” is that I know have to visit many different pages and adapt to different colors, layouts, and text sizes. Just starting this blogging experience, I haven’t had time to decide if this is a major issue or not, but I have already noticed that I have had to spend more time to read blogs than I did to read through the discussion boards.

    Roy,

    Reference:

    Bishop, Marianne C. "5 Suggestins for Equitable Online Facilitation." Online Classrom October 2006. Web. Virginia Commonwealth University Website, 7 September 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Roy,

      Thank you for your comments. You bring up some good points to ponder.

      About hyperlinking and blogs, perhaps Carter (2011) misses the semantic mark somewhat with the word “unique” because, as you rightly point out, hyperlinking occurs frequently in other forms of electronic communication besides blogs. I think the point she intends to make is that hyperlinking is more native or fundamental to blogs. In her description of the genesis and history of blogging, Carter explains that blogs originally developed as a means of sharing hyperlinks to Web content and comments about the sites shared. Thus, hyperlinks, while not unique to blogs, are kind of necessary to blogs, a key element of what makes a blog a blog: “linking Web content and responding to others via comments became the coin of the realm in the blogging world” (Carter, 2011, p. 90).

      I understand your concerns about the potential for inappropriate and inaccurate postings, and how to respond to them. Personally, I detest most of the idiotic and flaming comments you see, for example, in responses to online news reports (think Yahoo!), especially when politics or controversial issues are involved. I haven’t had much experience reading blogs, but I suspect such inappropriate postings may be common on popular blogs. However, I don’t think we’re likely to encounter this problem in the limited and respectful forum of our class blogs.

      While the possibility of exposing oneself to such behavior makes me hesitate to get deeply involved in blogging as a pastime, it appears to be part of the blogging appeal for some folks. According to Williams and Jacobs (2004), “the publication of one’s personal thoughts for the public consumption of such a vast audience can be an uplifting and sometimes cathartic experience” (Introduction, para. 4). Hmmm…not sure if I’m up to that.

      Yes, navigating so many different online environments is definitely more of a challenge and task than getting around in the class discussion board threads. On the other hand, hasn’t it been fascinating to experience more of our classmates’ personalities and psyches in their blog designs?

      Cheers,
      KSU Cuz

      Reference

      Williams, J. B., & Jacobs, J. (2004). Exploring the use of blogs as learning spaces in the higher education sector. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 20, 232-247. Retrieved from http://www.ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet20/williams.html

      Delete
    3. Most of us are likely aware of the term given to users who past negative and otherwise unrelated comments, but to others they are known as "trolls". Here is how Wikipedia (2012) defines such a person:

      "someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

      This is thought to be turning into a very serious problem, specifically in politics. Some users are paid to purposely take over discussion boards and blogs to cause misinformation or to redirect attention elsewhere. I haven't been able to find much in terms of hard evidence, so for now it will remain a conspiracy theory of sorts. Something to remember when you very definitely will encounter these types of users.



      Wikipedia (2012), Retrieved on 9/9/12 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

      Delete
    4. Hi J,

      Thanks for the heads-up and background information about online trolls. After all my years of living and daily encounters with “trolls” in all manner of contexts, I am still dismayed by some people’s capacity and motivation to do harm. We all struggle with destructive impulses, but some people revel in wreaking havoc. Call me an innocent or idealist, but I’ve never understood it.

      Here’s to hoping that most of the trolls we encounter will be immobilized by the glare of daylight and have birds’ nests behind their ears (an allusion you’ll recognize if you’ve read "The Hobbit").

      KSU Cuz

      Delete
  2. Cruz
    I have been meaning to post this on my own blog, and the others that are in our group, but keep forgetting, so you are the lucky one! Here is my biggest gripe about the online blog as a learning tool. For me to read your post and be able to properly comment, I have to copy out what you posted and past it into a word processor just to be able to read it and comment! I find it very difficult to comment on each persons' blog via the web interface. I think that becomes a huge distraction personally. Also, what if you had several pages of content for me to read? Also difficult. I know that KSOL is similar, but its minimalist feel and word processor look make it much easier to read.

    I am glad to see you brought up the privacy concerns that Carter and Oravec. Not only is it a student concern, it is something I bring up when I give presentations to students and adults about online safety and giving up to much personal information! Sites such as the National Center For Missing and Exploited Children give information and ideas for parents when it comes to online safety and being anonymous. NCMEC.org.

    You bring up another great point talking about live links and relevance. With a class of our duration, this should not be an issue, but you are so correct that it is very important for an active blog to stay up to date on its linking!

    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawn,

      Thank you for your comments. I’m gratified to be the lucky one!

      Actually, the process you describe for responding to our blog posts is the same as what I do for our usual class discussion boards. I tend to be a plodding and meticulous writer, very concerned to find the right words and express myself to my satisfaction. Being able to read, ponder, and respond to classmates’ comments in a Word document and then copy and paste my response back into the discussion board or blog alleviates the concern of timeouts. I admit it can be time-consuming, but I guess I’m used to it.

      Regarding privacy and online safety, as I implied in my response to J about trolls, I’m probably more trusting of people than I should be and often surprised by some people’s capacity to do harm. I’m sure you see such things all too often since you’re battling in the trenches against these kinds of actions.

      KSU Cuz

      Delete
  3. I thought it was very funny that you pointed out the hyperlinks. Reading everyone's blogs with the references, I found wishing people would hyperlink to the articles, as I could just click from there and peruse. But I read a lot of blogs, and have been a little spoiled on hyperlinks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Apples,

      I know what you mean about the hyperlinks. I included links to all the articles I cited in my original blog post, but I couldn't figure out how to put links in replies. So instead, I made sure to list the "retrieved from" URLs for all the articles I mentioned in all my replies, whether on my blog or classmates' blogs.

      Is it possible to put hyperlinks in these replies?

      KSU Cuz

      Delete